“Australia is a phenomenally beautiful country,
and every time I go away and come back,
it never ceases to amaze me.” – David Wenham
Few Americans dare to go to Australia. The main reasons are obvious. Too far to fly, expensive plane tickets, the time difference is 15-18 hours (which will give you a terrible jet lag).
It took us many years to decide to go to that faraway continent. Finally, we bought a group guided tour to Australia.
The flight from New York to Sydney lasts 22 hours. Yes, it is tiring, and yes, by the time you get to your hotel, all you want to do is to get into a bed and sleep. Because of remoteness, you spend a lot of time flying there, and back. Therefore, it makes sense to book a more extended trip – at least two weeks or longer.
Make sure to go to Queensland, where you can explore the Great Barrier Reef which is home to the thousands of marine species. It attracts divers and snorkelers from around the world. Also, in Queensland, you’ll find one of the oldest tropical rainforests.
Ayers Rock is the world’s largest sandstone monolith. It is 5.8 miles in circumference and taller than the Eiffel Tower. This remarkable natural phenomenon is definitely worth a detour.
Among other natural wonders of Australia are the World Heritage Site of Shark Bay, the Pinnacles (ancient desert structures), Twelve Apostles (a collection of limestone stacks off the shore of the Port Campbell National Park, the Fraser Island.
You can spend many days exploring Australia’s largest cities Melbourne and Sydney. Both offer gorgeous water views (of the river in Melbourne and the ocean in Sydney), great parks, incredibly diverse cuisine, miles of picturesque walking trails.
Where to sleep in Australia
(select accommodation from the best hotel booking sites)
- HotelsCombined.com (Compare all the top travel sites in one simple search)
- Trivago.com (Find your ideal hotel and compare prices from different websites)
- Booking.com (Over 2,119,000 hotels online. Hostels. Apartments. Motels)
- Priceline.com (Find a lower price, you’ll get a refund 100% of the difference)
- Hotels.com (Book now, pay when you stay)
- Travelocity.com (The price match guarantee. Free changes & cancellations)
- Expedia.com (Sign up for member prices and you could save 10% or more)
- Agoda.com (Guaranteed lowest price on hotels, resorts,
hostels, homes & more)
- HostelWorld.com (Stay in a hostel and meet the real world, not the tourist brochure)
Book your flight to Australia
Best time to visit
Australia is the planet’s sixth largest country. Its land area is almost the same as the US (if you exclude Alaska and Hawaii). Australia has eight climate zones.
Best time to visit northern Australia – between April and August.
Best time to travel to the southern states – December, January, and February.
As to crime, Australia is a safe place to travel. However, natural disasters (floods, tornados, bushfires) happen in this country quite often. While traveling in this country pay attention to warnings from local authorities.
Be cautious about swimming in Australia. Watch for box jellyfish, sharks, and crocodiles.
Check other exciting countries
we recommend visiting in 2019